Monday, March 15, 2010

No Rest For The Wicked

As most of us had to do today, I had to jump right back into work. Unpacking, cleaning up and putting things away were also on the agenda. But mostly, I was just trying to keep my eyes open and stop yawning. Still, time waits for no one, and neither do deadlines.


In addition to my work for clients, I need to get three pieces done for this months CILM package. The nice thing about having a sketchbook is having all these ideas that are ready to go when needed. I have shared a lot of pin-up poses and girls here that have never been finished. So at times like these, with the clock ticking, and I need some ideas, I can pull from my sketchbooks. The piece above is a good example. I originally posted this sketch in 2008. It was just a pencil sketch but now I am going to finish it as a digital painting. Pretty nifty, huh? The first step was cleaning the original scan. Getting rid of stray pencil lines and things picked up by the scanner. Then I started arranging the art on some layers in Photoshop. Getting rid of the white background is important. It's hard to color something on a bright white background. Having a neutral color for a background helps. At this point, what I have posted above, I am blocking in some base colors and some shadows. More will need to be done of course, but I only had about an hour to work on it. More tomorrow.

This is Post #879

3 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Wow! Extremely excellent for a post convention, post day light savings time tired artist! I guess buying your filled up and old sketch books is out of the question!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. I'm afraid that my filled sketchbooks would be very cost prohibitive. :)

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Ha, as they should be!