Sunday, March 14, 2010

Megacon 2010 - Sunday

MegaCon 2010 is officially over but there is so much to share. I managed to get away from my table for a visit with Tommy Castillo. As always his paintings blow me away. Then I saw the graphite art he is doing on parchment paper: Wow! I will have to steal that idea. Thanks for the stack of goodies Tommy. And Dakota loves her Alice print!

Artist Rick Tucker dropped off his first ever sketchbook yesterday. Today was the first time I was able to rest and take it in. Really nice work. If you see Rick at a convention, make sure you pick up the book. Thanks again Rick!

I'm afraid Joe Pekar and I got a bit punchy with exhaustion today. We were joking around so much that at one point I couldn't stop laughing. I laughed so hard tears were running down my face. Finally got some composure back and got to work.

First up is Lucy in the Sky from The Runaways. (If I got the name wrong, I'm sorry. I wasn't familiar with the character) I really liked the look of the character in the refs I was given. The tricky part was creating something that looks like the Photoshop effect and colors used in the book, but using ink and fluid acrylics. Jon commissioned this and he seemed happy with the final piece so I think I pulled it off. :) Thanks again Jon. I really enjoyed meeting you and chatting.


Next up for Leonard is Katchoo from Strangers in Paradise. This was done in his book with ink and color pencils. The book is dedicated to Katchoo and it is almost full. There are some tough acts to follow in there. So I went for something completely different. Francine and Katchoo are living happily ever after in the southwest. So I thought we would get a peek at their photo album and the time they visited Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. It's is a real place that we visited years ago. It has some of the oldest native ruins in the country. It's remote, wild and has a spiritual vibe to it. I think Francine and Katchoo would have enjoyed it. Thanks Leonard for the commission!


This is the finished Magik commission for Jon. (Yep, same Jon as above. And not his last visit in this post.) This is a companion piece to a Magik Canson Cutie on yellow paper that he owns. (You can see the two together on CAF. Just do a search of my name and they should show up in his gallery)


Jon also picked up the inked witch pin-up below. And he took it to colorist Laura Martin. I'm sure I don't need to introduce her to anyone here who reads comics. Laura has colored another pin-up I did for Lan last year and now she was commissioned for this piece. Laura colored the original art with Copic Markers and just look at the results! My response: SWEET! Thanks again Jon!


I did a commission of the X-Men's, Pixie last June. Once again age is getting playing a factor in me not remember the name of who commissioned her. Oy! I apologize. He brought it with him and commissioned Laura Martin to color the art. I didn't know about it until he brought it over and showed it to me. Wow, just look at the results below.


I introduced myself to Laura and she mentioned she has enjoyed coloring the pin-ups I have done. I got the impression that Pixie was a favorite character and she really enjoyed this piece.

So that's it. I'm exhausted and need some rest before digging back into work tomorrow. I want to say thanks to everyone who came by the table. Special thanks to Joe Pekar for being such a great person to sit by over a long weekend. We had a lot of laughs. And it's always so cool to watch him work. If you have been wanting to get a painting from him, don't wait! I think he is taking commissions right now. Tell him I sent you. :) I had a great time at MegaCon 2010 and it has got me in the mood for the Pittsburgh ComicCon next month! And then HeroesCon in June!


This is Post #878

5 comments:

Karen said...

Gene it was great seeing you as always! I hope Mega Con was good to you. Thanks again soooo much for the Siniter Six. Dave loves it. I wish I had an ounce of your creative talent. Rest up!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Sounds like you had a great time and were very, very busy! Thanks for sharing the Laura Martin coloring of your pieces.

Gary

Little John said...

Beautiful work as usual Gene.

Gene Gonzales said...

Karen - It was great seeing you and Dave as well. (And little Blue! ) ;) My pleasure doing the Sinister Six layout. Dave is off to a great start with the villains! It's gonna be a cool piece when it's complete. Send me a photo or scan when you think of it. I forgot to shoot it. I'm so bad about that. :) Thanks!

Gary - It was a great time. More important than staying busy, was meeting so many nice folks. And you would not believe the amount of cute girls that stop at Joe's table at a show. That has to be his main demographic! I was happy that the folks that had Laura color my pieces, brought them over for me to see and share with everyone here. Lan has one too of a sexy librarian that I don't we have seen here.

Little John - Thanks sir! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.