Thursday, March 18, 2010

Last MegaCon 2010 Sketches

I have these last two to share from last weekend. I forgot to take pictures of the finished pieces but luckily I have scans that were either sent to me or I got from the CAF site.



The image above was for Dave. He wanted to have a jam piece of the entire Sinister Six on one page of his sketchbook and he asked if I would start it off. And if I would lay it out, providing the groundwork for the next batch of artists. This would make the jam piece have some kind of cohesiveness. So instead of just the six characters standing around I thought up a couple of ideas and this is the one Dave liked. When finished it will be a take off of the classic Giant Size X-Men #1. The scan isn't too clear but the layout has Spidey at the top with his Spidey Sense on overdrive. The villains are ripping through the paper coming at the viewer. After laying out the whole thing, I penciled and inked the Sandman in the foreground. Thanks Dave! I can't wait to see the whole thing completed!

And below is the finished Alice piece I did for Lan. I added a little extra for making him wait. If you remember I posted the image in progress, and left the original on the scanner. Thanks again Lan!



This is Post #882

7 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Lan got an excellent piece, please leave my next commission in the scanner next time!

I like the Spidey Jam piece, especially the layout that includes Mysterio in the background!

Gary

Lan Pitts said...

You took a better picture than I did :) Still love it. Thanks, Gene, m'man.

Royce Thrower said...

Two great "Cabooses" (caboosi?)to your MegaCon Train of Sketches Gene!

That layout is KILLER by the way. I like the idea of a well thought out composition for a jam piece!
Bravo!

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. I will have to pack and bring my scanner to Pittsburgh in order to do that. :)

You're welcome Lan!

Thanks Royce. I can't say the layout is completely mine since I based it on an existing design, but I do agree that having some common design for a jam piece is better than random figures.

Karen said...

Thanks again for the Six, Gene. I agree that the common design was much better than just random people standing around. We obviously came to the right artist!

Gene Gonzales said...

It's gonna be pretty cool when it's finished. When are we doing one for you? :) Or Blue? ;)

Karen said...

Maybe I'll try to think of something for when Blue is born. I never really thought much about jam sketches before. It seems like it would be easy to mess up. But Dave's is really nice so I think I might try it. Maybe an X-babies one or something. Something I could put up in her room. Although we are going with a Pooh theme so it might not work? :D