Saturday, March 20, 2010

Digital Study


I worked for almost 10 hours today and just got around to doing this. I had it in my mind all day and it took a lot of discipline not to just quit working and play with this. Discipline is something that comes up quite a bit as a freelance artist. There can be so many distractions at home but I have learned to stay focused. I keep fairly regular business hours, making myself available to my clients when they are working is important to me. It seems to keep my clients happy. Sometimes working on weekends is necessary to help a project along or to help the client out in a pinch. Recently a person who works at Starbucks asked me what I do for a living. I told her I work at home as a freelance artist. She is a photographer and said she could never work at home and stay focused. I replied that a mortgage and having a family can keep you very focused. It certainly works for me.

The piece above was done in Photoshop. I am working on a character design to yesterdays sketch.

This is Post #884

5 comments:

LUD! said...

I take it this is our femme fatale from the previous post. Purple hair and eyes-- could be a Japanese fashion statement, or a mutant/android/godlike being! Bring it on, Gene! ;-)

Gene Gonzales said...

Or it could be a wig. :) Thanks LUD!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

I think your clients appreciate you dedication and focus. So your hard work and discipline is paying off (and the mortgage).

Please keep sharing your Vaugh collaboration work!

Gary

Craig Zablo said...

Yeah, you artist types that freelance have to reign in the side of the brain that wants to wander.

I've been putting in a lot of hours as well, and so quite often I check in and move along without commenting. It doesn't mean I'm not enjoying your posts though!

Gene Gonzales said...

Gary - Will do!

Welcome to the blog Craig! Oh wait... ;) Try not to work so hard, my friend. :)