Saturday, March 6, 2010

Happy Birthday Aqualad!


According to the 1977 SUPER DC CALENDAR, today is Aqualad's birthday! I went to Ramona Fradons version of Aqualad for this little sketch. This is back when Aqualad had freckles and brown hair. Pre-perm days. This was done on a 3.5" x 5" scrap of Canson paper.

This piece was done in 20 minutes. Start to finish while my poor computer was crunching a bajillion shapes into one big shape. I just started drawing this and finished before the progress bar finished. Big file.

My day has been filled with work, work, work. But the end of this particular 3-part project is almost over with: I finished one early this morning, I am finishing the second one right now, and the third will be done by tomorrow night. I have been living with these files for over two weeks now and I will be glad when they are done. Whew.

I did take a break today for a couple of hours to hang out with the Suncoast Inkslingers. Comic artist Jim Fern lives near me and he organizes a meet up every month of comic/fantasy/scifi/ artists and fans. We take over a section of a restaurant or coffee house and share art, books, stories, etc. I have only gone the last two months and it's fun. Nice conversations, nice folks and food.

Tomorrow I will have a big break in the middle of my day. We are going to see a spring training game between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Phillies. So make sure you follow me on Twitter (@genegonzales) for live pictures and commentary. Both of the game and the beer!

Enjoy your evening!

This is Post #870

4 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

The things you can do in 20 minutes!

Have fun at the ballgame. Hard to think that baseball season is not that far off here in the cold North East! Go Phillies :-).

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Go Phillies????? No way! Go Rays! We broke down and bought season tickets. :)

Vincent Paul Bartilucci said...

Adorable! You really channeled Fradon with this one!

Enjoy the game!

Royce Thrower said...

Beautiful Gene, just terrific. Hope the Rays won for you.