Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Solomon Grundy - Sketch Card


I really should have done this one yesterday. :) I decided to do some warm up sketches before digging into one of the projects I am working on. Solomon Grundy became the subject to draw after I was flipping through an old issue of STAR & S.T.R.I.PE that Grundy was in. The first time I saw this character was in a JLA/JSA crossover back in the 70s. JLA 91 was the first part of that tale and the first Justice League comic I bought. I knew most of the JLA heroes but the JSA characters were brand new to me. A very cool first issue to buy as a kid.

This is Copic Multi Liners and Markers on a Strathmore Sketch Card.

This is Post #816

3 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

He looks grumpy, must be the cold weather!

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

I agree with Gary, he definitely has a "mad on!"

Gene, I remember buying JLA #56. It wasn't the first issue I bought, but it was my first contact with the JSA and the Golden Age Superheroes.

Gene Gonzales said...

Gary - Naw, Grundy is always grumpy. :)

Royce - He usually does. Not in a "Hulk Smash" but Grundy gets grumpy when he sees green. When you read that first story of the Earth 2 heroes, were you confused? I understood just fine as a kid. I don't know why they thought we couldn't keep up with the different worlds.