Friday, January 8, 2010

Sketchbook Friday - Scarlet Witch


This was done for fun in my sketchbook with Copic Markers and Multiliners. I wanted to play around with using a dead line for this piece. A dead line is one has little or no variation in thickness and thinness. It can be tough to pull off because if done badly it can kill a piece. Make it flat and uninteresting. But if done well, it can be very cool. I tend to work more with the thick and thin lines but I am always interested in doing something different.

Today I started working at 6:30am and just finished as of this writing at 7pm. Thankfully my commute only involves trying to get around the dogs while going to work in my studio. There have a been a lot of these days this week. I am producing 35 pencil drawings, some are double page spreads for a project I can never share. And I mean "never". It's an interesting situation that I will gladly share if you ask me about it at a convention. At least I will be paid. Deadline looming on that one. Plus, I have my DC work, and some artwork for buddy/writer Kevin Breaux, for which he has been beyond patient. (Map tomorrow Kevin! Really!) A few inked commissions I took on in December that need to be done in January (Got another one done tonight! Woo!), another project for Gemstone Publishing coming up and a bunch of little things that will keep me busy this month. January is a bit nuts, but I am glad to be busy. Really glad.

Now if it would just warm up. We live on the Sun Coast of the Sunshine State and they have called for the chance of snow here this weekend. Here. Snow. I know it won't be anything like up north but come on, when we moved to Florida three years ago, I swear the chance of snow was not in the brochure.

Have a good weekend everyone. Stay warm and stay safe.

This is Post #811

9 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Love the Scarlett Witch and the explanation about the dead line. I learn something from you all of the time! Maybe you have to have her put a hex on the snow and cold weather that is coming your way!

Next convention, I will have to ask about the secret project!

Stay warm and busy!

Gary

Little John said...

Definitely like this Scarlet Witch. I'll second Gary and have to ask you about this project you can never share.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. I'm glad you enjoyed the information.

Thanks Little John! I will be happy to tell you and Gary all about it.

Unknown said...

Nice job on the SW, Gene.

And I'll be asking you about that job at MegaCon in a few month! :)

Hope you get scans to show?

Lan Pitts said...

I really like how that turned out. And yes, deadlines can be a great asset or a killer to a style.

Craig Zablo said...

Your experiment was a success. A dead line Scarlett Witch which [say that 3 times fast] looks very alive!

Gene Gonzales said...

John - Or just give me a call, you know where to find me. :)

Lan - Thanks! I'm not sure if you mean "Deadlines" or "Dead Lines" but either can be a killer or asset to style. :)

Craig - Thanks! I tried to say it three times and failed. :(

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely Wanda, Gene!

I don't know why, but it always tickles me when people spell her code name with two T's at the end of Scarlet... as though she were being portrayed in a film by Ms. Johansson (or perhaps Vivien Leigh). Why do they do that?

Scarlett Johansson as the Scarlet Witch could totally work, by the way, were she not already the Black Widow.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Michael! I do have to watch myself when I write "Scarlet Witch". I bet I have spelled it with two "T"s in the past. In regards to Ms Johansson, she would play all the parts if it were up to me. :)