Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sketchbook Tuesday - Manhunter


While searching searching for some of the Dalgoda books that I know are still somewhere in the garage, I came across some books that didn't get sold off with the rest of my collection. The only reason why they didn't get sold off is they didn't fit in my Xterra. :) I may revisit these characters here just for fun, much like I did yesterday with the Dalgoda sketches. Today we have Manhunter. I remember picking up the copies of Detective Comics at the newsstand that the Manhunter back up series first appeared in. I thought it was pretty cool, but when he teamed up with Batman in the final story, that really was great! I won't spoil the ending of a comic run that is over 30 years old, but I will say if you come across any of the collections, check it out. Manhunter was created by Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson and was based off the golden age character by the same name.

This is Post #940

6 comments:

Shane said...

that is very cool! looks like you had fun working on it!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

I see a bit of Walt's influence in your rendition!

Have you ever met Mr. Simonson?

Gary

Patman said...

Wow, bringing back a blast from the past, but in a good way!

Craig Zablo said...

Another cool sketch and another great memory. Loved the Simonson Manhunter/Batman team-up!

Gene Gonzales said...

Shane - Thanks, I did.

Gary - Can't help but think of Walt's version of the character when I draw it. That probably seeps through my pencil. I have not "met" him but I sat a two tables away from him one year at HeroesCon and listened to him all weekend. Seems like a great guy!

Patman - Glad you like it.

Craig - Back when team ups were special!

Duedsml said...

And now I will have to reread those Manhunter stories again, some of the best stuff done!