Monday, May 17, 2010

Doc Savage - Man of Bronze


The Man of Bronze. Or The Man of Gray, I suppose. I decided on Doc Savage for today, and I also decided to look at the Street & Smith Publishing covers for Doc Savage Magazine because I didn't want to do the James Bama version of the good Doc. James Bama did some incredible covers and they have become iconic for Doc Savage, but I've gotten tired of that hairstyle. It looks like some kind of gold/bronze helmet to me. Over the years, more people have stylized it to the point that it looks off, to me anyway. And that hair doesn't reflect the time period of the pulps. Who had hair like that back then? So for better or for worse, I went with the look of the original pulp covers. :)

This is black & white ink on 9" x 12" gray charcoal paper.

This is Post #959

5 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

lol Gene, I totaly agree on the skull cap hairdo. Started as a crew cut I think and morphed into a Ming the Merciless Skull Cap. Yours looks natural and appropriate for the time period. Wonderful rendition! Now we need Monk, Ham, Long Tom, Remy and..... arrrrggghh my memory isn't what it used to be! Can't wait to see the next charcoal gray piece!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Totally agree about that helmet cap look.

Funny that no one has tried to do an updated movie on Doc and his gang.

Gary

Craig Zablo said...

"So for better or for worse, I went with the look of the original pulp covers. :)"

My vote is FOR BETTER.

And did I mention that I really like these sketches lately?

Duedsml said...

Your run on black, white and gray would be perfect for The Avenger, the old Street and Smith pulp character by Kenneth Robeson.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Royce!

Thanks Gary. I was afraid I would offend those that like the helmet head look. You would think that Doc and the gang would be a great source for a franchise.

Thanks Craig, and yes you did. :)

I totally agree David. The Avenger's look would be perfect for this medium. Stay tuned. :)