Thursday, January 22, 2009

Phantom Lady: Wet & Wild - Progress

I didn't get much farther today with the piece. A little bit of work on the puddle, the lettering, the water balloon and some water trails across her arm. (See below) Mostly I worked on adding the goggles and her wrist weapon on this piece and the one before. Luckily it could be done without an impact on the piece.
Above is a close up of her arm to show what I will be doing across her whole body. I will be adding colorful bits and pieces of water balloons on the ground and the puddle tomorrow. Then a complementary color in the circle behind her and I should be done. :)

5 comments:

LUD! said...

Gene,

Are you lightening her wet skin by picking up the color, or by darkening in sections? Just curious...

It's realllly looking quite spectacular!

Lud

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

After looking at the latest edition of Wet and Wild Phantom Lady, I had the same question as LUD.....we likes to knows the tricks of the trade!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks guys. To answer your question Lud, seconded by Gary, I am just using white acrylic paint, thinned down with water and a brush to paint the trails of water on her body. Working along the way I think gravity would pull the water. I do vary the pressure of the brush to make the paint lighter as I go over the high points of her arm. More light would hit the high points so the "water" would be more transparent. Thanks for the question!

Royce Thrower said...

Thanks for the "Inside The Artist's Studio" segment Gene. We always appreciate the thinking and planning that goes on behind your work. Are you using any references of wet skin or fabric? Or do you instead rely on your "mind's eye?" However the process plays out, the illusion of a wet Phantom Lady is becoming very convincing. It must be sometimes hard for you to decide when she is "dry" enough for the next layer of paint! :)

Gene Gonzales said...

Royce, I have some reference that I am referring to, but because this isn't a "realistic" image, more cartoony in style, I am more concerned with the suggestion of wet material and skin. And I was about to say that the paint dries pretty quick before I realized the joke. D'oh! ;)