Monday, January 12, 2009

Phantom Lady - commission process 3

I hope no one is getting board with the step by step of this piece. Hang in there if you are. :)

I like to do a digital color composition of the art before I paint. It gives me a chance to see what I am doing before I screw it up on the art board. In the old days, I would make photocopies of the pencil art and block in color on that in order to get a sense of what I want the final artwork to look like. Digital makes it so much easier. The goal with this piece is to really emphasize the difference between Phantom Lady (both her body and color) and her surroundings. She with her bright colors and everything around her is done in blues and browns.

I am in the process of transferring my finished line art to a 15" x 20" piece of watercolor board. So, more tomorrow. 


5 comments:

LUD! said...

Gene,
It's looking terrific to me, but if you are going with the more modern yellow & green version of her costume, I suggest changing the footwear to boots instead of pumps, which she wore with the classic blue and red.

Lud Hughes
"Nitpicking Fan"

Royce Thrower said...

Looking great Gene. Kevin must be tickled pink! The mood in this piece is so CLASSIC!!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Kevin is a very lucky man.

Curious, what happens to the "original" rough after you have laid it out on the final board for finishing?

Oh, and I NEVER get tired of hearing and learning about the process!

Gary

Jules said...

Bored? You must be kidding! I think it's great to see just how artists' work and how pieces come together!

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Lud. I went with your suggestion regarding the shoes. It does look like she only wore pumps with the blue costume. Good call!

Thanks Royce!

Gary, the original roughs stay with me. Though sometimes when someone buys some finished art from me they also purchase the prelims. It's really up to the buyer. Thanks!

I'm glad I am not boring you Julie. :) I hope you like Tuesdays post of me inking the artwork. Thanks!