Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Phantom Lady - commission process 5

Quick post today. Finished the inks for this piece. The background on the other side of the paddy wagon were left in pencil (they are not showing up very well in this scan) because I will just use color to define the edges of the buildings. This is ready to start painting tomorrow.
Strathmore has produced Artist Trading Cards and on my last trip to the art store I picked some different packages up for fun. I got a pack of watercolor, bristol and acrylic linen canvas. These are just cut down versions (2.5 " x 3.5") of some of their popular boards at a premium cost. But Dakota and I thought it would be fun to try some. This my first piece, Supergirl in her 1970s costume, of course. This was done with ink and fluid acrylics on the bristol board card.
After posting todays images I have to shut down and set up my new Drobo back-up system. Gone with be my two old external hard drives that have been the work horses of my business, and in will be my Drobo with two 1TB hard drives, with two bays for two more drives. I figured 2TB was a good starting point. This little data robot came with a high recommendation from people whose opinions I trust so I am really looking forward to getting it set up and taking the worry out of my back up regimen. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

LUD! said...

Looking good, Gene!

Good luck on the backup system--I'm using two 500GB drives on my computer and using Mac OS X Leopard's Time Machine to back up my stuff. So far, so good.

Lud

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Lud! I am using OSX Leopards Time Machine as well. I used it on one of my 500GB externals. Now I am using it on my Drobo. The reason I switch to the Drobo was it's automatic data protection. If a drive is failing or has failed, it alerts you and you just replace that particular drive. Drobo formats the new drive and you have no data loss. It's pretty cool in that you can use any SATA 3.5 inch internal HD. Doesn't matter the maker or capacity. It just plugs in. I started with the two 1TB drives but there are two more bays empty. Sorry, geeked out there for a moment. :)

Royce Thrower said...

"Play me a song, Curtis Lowe, Curtis Lowe...
I got your drinkin' money, back up your drobo..."

Sorry, must be in a Skynyrd mood tonight.

Gene, not familiar with the Drobo system. Does it use a paired set of drives or does it stripe the data across several drives?

Love the 70's Kara by the wa...as usual. Those sketchcard thingies seem to sell like hotcakes at cons. I prefer the full sized sketches but the small cards are kinda cute, especially with your style of amazingly cute faces drawn on them.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Royce. I was feeling a little Simon & Garfunkel tonight:

"Hello lamppost,
What cha knowing?
I've come to watch your flowers growing.
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in' doo-doo,
Feelin' Drooby."

The Drobo (www.drobo.com) takes all the drives and makes them one big single capacity. So it's ideal for use as a "primary storage" and a high capacity location for periodic back-ups.

The art cards have become quite a craze outside of the comic book industry. Seems fine artists around the world are doing these. There are on-line communities and auctions. I too prefer to collect full size art, and draw it. But these are fun to kill time. :)

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Drobo? Wasn't that a planet in one of the Star Wars movies????

I really like the Supergirl card piece. Maybe a new opportunity to knock some of these out and put on ebay?

Inking job is coming along extremely well!

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

I read a little about the drobo system and it seems like a pretty good idea. I like the idea that it will take any capacity drive from any manufacturer. The data protection feature forces you to "effectively" lose storage space equal to your largest drive, but what a phenomenal idea. I assume that the info is either copied or "striped" through an array so that it is recoverable in case of drive failure. I don't need that much storage space, but it sure seems like a great idea for those of you who do!