Friday, January 9, 2009

Phantom Lady - commission process 1

I am starting a new painted commission featuring Phantom Lady. Kevin Hare approached me with a gag comic panel featuring Phantom Lady and how her appearance can affect both cop and criminal alike. I have done several commissions for Kevin over the years and he always manages to come up with ideas that are full of fun and sexiness. This one is no exception. He has also been a sport by allowing me to share the work in progress.

The commission will be set in the 1940s. So I started looking at some comic covers from that time period in order to get the costume right. Though the final piece will feature the yellow and green costume, I used the blue and red color scheme here for fun.

6 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

A big thanks to Kevin for this commission and letting Gene share the process! The figure on the right is so cool and so identifiable with the Gonzlaes style!

Where do you go to look at 1940's comic covers for inspiration?

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks for giving Kevin the shout out. I agree, it is very cool he is allowing this piece to be shared like this. For inspiration I used Google Image to search for Phantom Lady. A lot of covers from her old series shows up.

Royce Thrower said...

I love Phantom Lady! I remember the first time I saw a Bettie Page picture thinking "Wow! Phantom Lady!"

Thanks also to Kevin and to Gene for the share.

If you guys haven't ever been to the Grand Comics Database (http://comics.org) to view comics' covers, you should definitely check it out.

Here is a page with covers to one of the Phantom Lady series from the 1940's...

http://comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=499

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks for the link Royce!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Royce,

Thanks for the link, those older covers (especially the 1940's) of Phantom Lady are really great. Don't see these at many conventions.....

Thanks again!

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

No problem Gary! Glad I could help. I love the GCDB, it is a great reference site!