Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dejah Thoris, Princess of Mars - Process

Anyone who knows me or has followed this blog knows I like drawing Dejah Thoris. And today I revisit my favorite Princess of Mars. I also thought I would share the process, as short as it is.

Below is the sketch I worked out on a piece of 11" x 17" copy paper. I am drawing with a Vermillion Col-Erase pencil. I like to sketch with a color because something about a regular lead feels permanent. With a color pencil I just get loose with the drawing. With graphite, I start worrying about every line. So the lounging Dejah is here with her sleeping pet Fluffy.
The next step was to transfer the sketch to a piece of Strathmore Bristol Board, which I did on my light table. For the most part she is ready to ink. I will probably add little doodads to her as I ink. And that will be done for tomorrow. :)

6 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

I can't put my finger on it, but something changed between the first and second version to make her look less somber. Perhaps she had finished her wine since the wine glass is not in the second version.

I do like these rough sketch in colored pencil.

BTW, any thoughts to a new sketchbook volume for 2009?

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

I was about to mention the finished glass of wine as well. Perhaps the servant had come by to clear the table in the interim. Always a delight to see Deja show up for a visit, almost as good as Supergirl dropping by! Looking forward to the inks on this one. Shall we look for this on Ebay perhaps?

Gene Gonzales said...

Gary - The wine glass was dropped when I realized it would look like it was stuck in Fluffy's tail. :) I do plan to put out a new sketchbook. I will have it for HeroesCon and then online and at Pittsburgh. I have plenty of material but I haven't got a printer yet. Thanks!

Actually Royce, Fluffy knocked it over with his tail. This will also be going up on eBay. I recently made a big purchase and I am trying to offset the cost. :) Thanks!

Brian Jones said...

Always nice to take a little trip to Mars...Any chance of another Conventionless Convention Sketch auction to offset your purchase? :)

Gene Gonzales said...

Hey Brian, I am looking at my schedule to see what is coming up. I know I have a block of time in March that I planned to do a series of Conventionless Convention Sketches. But another project of mine is starting later than I thought, so I might move the time table on the sketches. I will know next week. Anyone interested in sketches?

Will Allred said...

Fluffy?
Surely you mean Woola the Martian warhound.
Man, I love those books...even read them to the boys, twice.
Lovely Dejah, although I'm partial to the one you did for me a few years back.