Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Gotham Double Header!

Brian's sketch requests took us back to Gotham City. Both the comic book version and the 1960s BATMAN series version. 

First up is my shot at Julie Newmar as Catwoman. Normally I stay away from likenesses in sketches because they are more difficult. To do a likeness, I normally do several drawings of the person, getting an understanding of the features and what to accentuate. Brian gave me the option of doing this or the 1970s comic version of the character. I went with the tougher one because that is the way I roll. :) Overall I think I got her look down enough to make her recognizable. The costume helps a lot too. She is a stunning woman, even to this day.
Second up is Harley Quinn. Every so often I get a request for her and I always find myself drawing her doing something comical. It's a knee-jerk reaction. Only if someone says they want a sexy Harley does my brain click on for that image. Or if Poison Ivy in in the shot with her, then my brain goes into overdrive. ;) So once again, Harley in a silly situation.
Both pieces are ink on 11" x 17" Canson Bristol Board. Thanks again to Brian for the commissions. It's always fun to visit Gotham. 

8 comments:

LUD! said...

I am SO tempted to do a "purrrr-fect" comment, but NO! I must be strong..!

Harley's one of those characters who can go from wacky to sexy. This version is "cute!"

Need I say, good stuff Gene!
Lud

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

I really like the texturing effect on the Catwoman costume. As far as Harley, I love the silliness of her swinging a bat at a bat with your signature being in a baseball!

Well done!

Gary

Craig Zablo said...

You got the likeness. Well done.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks for the restraint, Lud. Otherwise it might have been a Cat-astrophe. ;) Thanks!

Thanks Gary!

Thanks Craig!

Royce Thrower said...

LUD beat me to the Purr-fect line, so I will just say that the Catwoman pic is the Cat's Meow.

I remember as a kid
(of 6 at the time the show was originally on)thinking that Julie should trim her eyebrows a bit, but now looking back, she was sexy as all get out. I really loved Lee Meriweather and Eartha Kitt, but Julie was the definitive version for me. Loved her dimples. Two nice ones to add to Brian's collection og Gotham VIP's.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Royce!

Brian Jones said...

Julie is my favorite Catwoman and very glad you choose to draw her. One of my earliest TV crushes :)She was and is the Purrr-fect Catwoman! You most definetly did her justice!
Fun and playful Harley love it!

Thanks again Gene for a couple more gems in my collection.

Gene Gonzales said...

My pleasure Brian. And thank you!