Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sketchbook Saturday

I spent today going over the sketch list and trying out some poses. I knocked out the first two finished pieces pretty quickly this week and then had to dive into some other work. But today I leisurely worked up some ideas for the rest. With the exception of a trip to Tampa for an Art Show, and some work on my new website design, it was a Sketchbook Saturday.
Today's Legion Couple is Cosmic Boy (Rokk Krinn) and Night Girl (Lydda Jath). While Night Girl wasn't an official member of the Legion, she is Cosmic Boy's girlfriend and a founding member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes. The costume for her is the redesign by Mike Grell. If you wonder how she never fell out of that outfit, imagine how Cosmic Boy dealt with the redesign that Mike Grell did on his costume: Take all the pink areas and make them flesh and there you have it. I guess the black areas were magnetic.

3 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Hi Gene!

How many pieces are in this Legion series?

As always, thanks for sharing the insights from your sketchbook!

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

Always like a peek into the sketchbook and absolutely loved Mike Grell's work on Superboy and the Legion...except for the Cosmic Boy redesign. UGH!

Gene Gonzales said...

Gary, I think there are a dozen of them. The Legion had 22-24 members and there was a bonus painting I did too. Thanks.

Thanks Royce. From what I understand, Grell still gets comments about that design. :)