Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Shrinking Violet - Sketch #6

Deadlines and commitments. The day was filled with both. But a milestone has passed successfully and a sketch was done. So all in all a good day. Today it's another Legionnaire. I won't go into my Legion fixation again, but I do love drawing Legionnaires. This is the first time I have drawn this particular version of Violet so that added to the fun. And I like the simplicity of the costume. Don't be fooled, sometimes the simpler the costume, the easier to mess it up. Thanks to Roland for both Legion commissions, this one and Timber Wolf! This is inked on 11" x 17" Canson Bristol Board. Happy Wednesday everyone!

5 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Happy Wednesday to you (quickly on the way to Thursday!!). Like the Shrinking Violet, can also see a little Janet Van Dyne/Wasp here too (guess I have a Marvel bias since that is what I read when I grew up!).

I sense Melody coming.....

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

Great pose and background! Like the messed up hair too! She looks like she has just kicked some Asters!

SwanShadow said...

Too funny, Gene -- one of the other possibilities for your Common Elements piece was a Shrinking Violet/Wasp pairing. I'm now glad that I didn't choose that one! :)

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. And since when did you become a mind reader. I have a surprise full day at the Labs today (Thurs) but Melody is on the drawing table. :)

Royce - Thanks. This was the kicking butt version of Vi in the later years.

Michael - Wow, that would have been interesting. Wasp comes up from time to time but Violet only once that I can recall. But to have two requests for Violet in one batch would have been strange. I like the ones you did come up with better though.

Unknown said...

Gene, as I said in my email to you, she's just beautiful - she does indeed look like she's just kicked somebody's butt, yet she's *still* so doggoned cute :) I love the touseled hair that Vi had during this particular LSH "era", so great touch there as well.
I'm a very satisfied customer (as usual), and can't wait to add more Legionnaires from you to the collection!
Roland