Thursday, June 23, 2011

Water Color


Artwork © 2011 Gene Gonzales

After two weeks of mostly digital work, I have been wanting to get messy with a real medium. Finishing the inks on the Dream Girl piece and doing the Mary Marvel watercolor sketch were ways of breaking the digital habit, as it were.

Today's post is something I painted this afternoon. I sketched it out using a terra cotta Col-Erase pencil on an 8" x 10" piece of Arches Cold Press Watercolor board. My paints are Holbein Artist Water Color. There is a big difference in using really good paper and paints, versus not so good paper and paints. Much like having the right tools for the job. If you don't, the process can be laborious. If you do, the process is fun and easy. This was a fun and easy process. The board I painted on was cut from a 16" x 20" board, so I have a few more pieces to play with over the next few days. With any luck I will find time to do some more paintings for fun.

As you may have noticed I have changed up the look of the blog. As part of that change, I am going to post the art larger than I had been posting. If I don't like the look of it over the next few days, I may change it back. I felt the blog needed a change, it had been the same for almost two years. The only drawback is I wish the old formats would stay archived. It would be fun to see all the old stuff in the old layouts and color schemes. Oh well.

This is Post #1362

7 comments:

Unknown said...

wow

Royce Thrower said...

wow indeed! Beautiful Gene.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Spazzy

Thanks Royce

Gary M. Peiffer said...

I am catching up after a few days away. Big surprise to see the look of the blog change. Watercolors and Dream Girl are both big wows! The watercolors really pop with the new background! Great job!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. I think I like the bigger images on the main page. You can still click for larger but I think it's makes the main page a bit bolder.

carlos a.s. lising said...

Absolutely beautiful, Gene.

You'll have to tell us someday what your commission rates are for painted work. Just sayin'. ;)

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Carlos. :)