Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sketchbook Thursday

Attuug © 2010 Gene Gonzales

More sketchbook drawing today. Once again, busy, busy, busy. In addition to my regular work load I am working on a number of commissions. When they are done I will be sharing. In the meantime the only other drawing being done is in my sketchbook. I did manage to put some color to this one in Photoshop though.

I am on a mission to find a style that is both fun for me and quicker. While I like inking, it can be a quite a bit more work and I am not always happy with solid black lines on everything. And I am not always keen on artwork that is shot straight from pencils. Maybe it's because when it's colored it is almost always treated with the same approached used for coloring inks.

Above I played with doing the initial drawing using blue pencil in my Canson Drawing pad. Scanned it and changed the pencils to a sepia tone. Set up a background color and then proceeded to use muted colors with various brushes, mostly a wet oil brush. Then I used a Conte pencil style brush to do my line work again, leaving the pencil drawing at a 25% opacity. I like the effect. It's not the end of experimenting, but it looks like I am on the right track.

This is Post #1070

3 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Is Attung a made up character or from somewhere else in the literature/comic world?

Good luck with the experimenting!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. Attuug inhabits the world of Space Jungle Girl. I will be posting quite a bit of SJG in the coming months.

Unknown said...

wow!