Monday, December 21, 2009

Sketchbook Monday - Lex


I did this after finishing a piece I was doing today for DC. Like most things in my sketchbook, I started drawing without knowing who or what I was doing. When the bald head was there, I thought Professor X. Then Mister Freeze. Then Lex Luthor. After working out the shading with warm gray Copic Markers, I still didn't think it was finished. Sure Lex is ticked off, but why? The shadows of the prison bars across his face was the final element that was needed. You can almost tell he his watching Superman fly by. It's fun when a sketch can tell a story.

3 more shopping days folks. Better get going if you are not done yet. :)

This is Post #793

4 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

It is amazing what one can do with Copic markers, when they are in the right hands! AND, the image does tell a story! Thanks for sharing!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Still learning and playing. I appreciate the encouragement. :)

Craig Zablo said...

I totally agree. It's rare that a sketch tells one as cool as this! [And you know a cover could do it, but not as subtly!]

Royce Thrower said...

Very cool Lex. You captured his true self and in doing so (as you already said), tell a story. The look in his eyes is one of pure disdain! Very nice Gene.