Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Legion Founders


This is another commissioned Christmas gift done in fluid acrylic on 11" x 17" illustration board. This was commissioned by Patrick, for Patrick. They know who they are. :) I think everyone that visits this blog knows how fond I am of the original Legion of Super-Heroes. So asking me to do a painting of the Legion founders doesn't take any twisting of my arm. I think I have drawn just about every version of these three by now with the exception of how they looked in their very first appearance. Back when they had their names on their costumes, which had different color schemes, and Cosmic Boy wore a bubble on his head.

I always do roughs for the pricier commissions. Especially paintings. So I thought I would share them here. Below are the three ideas I came up with for this piece.


Thanks again to Patrick for the commission. I hope the gift was well received.

This is Post #799

5 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

WooHoo! Like you Gene, I LOVE the original Legion, especially their run in Adventure Comics. Always a pleasure to see your take on the group, expecially the founders.

Little John said...

Gorgeous piece. Love the original Legion.

LUD! said...

It's SUPER sweet, Gene! Long Live the Legion!

Brian Jones said...

Very nice! I'll also add "Long Live the Legion!"

Gary M. Peiffer said...

A piece that should be framed immediately!

I do like the two left rough poses, think they would have been great to use also. I like the modifications you made from the right most rough to the final.

Gary