Sunday, November 16, 2008

Business Illustration - Comps


I thought I would show a couple of pieces that didn't make the cut on a recent job. For various reasons these didn't quite capture the idea or were too detailed in execution. It's more difficult to do visioning illustration like this for print versus the quick visioning I do on white boards. With the latter, it's just me and my take on it. With the other, it's a back and forth of refining the concept and the message. With this project, the client gave me some ideas of what they wanted and after I drew the first pass roughs, it made them think of things they didn't think of the first time. Or even made them realize that maybe this isn't message they wanted. Like I said, it's a back and forth of conversation and ideas. As an artist/business person, you can never take any rejection personally. You just move on. Ultimately I think we ended up with some nice pieces that do sell the ideas. As always, the process leaves a few unfinished ideas behind that may come into play another time.

2 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

I know it must be aggravating to haggle back and forth on the design/conceptualizing, but I must say that I kinda like that first idea on the business recruitment.
Thanks for sharing, as always.

Gene Gonzales said...

I don't want to give the wrong impression, it's not really haggling Royce. I have been in situations were the client doesn't know what they want, but they know what they don't want when they see it. That can be frustrating. But that wasn't the case on this job. Oh, and the one you like was only dropped because of space limitations, not because of concept. Thanks!