Monday, June 9, 2008

The Tiki Room





The images above are of a mural I am doing for my wife. We have two rooms that open to our lanai and pool area. One room is going to be my wife's retreat. And it will be the Tiki Room. The mural, when finished, will span all the walls. The beach area will cover the two main walls while the jungle will go up and over the arch way from the dining room and over the hide-in-wall patio doors. She has been picking up little things like ceramic lizards, to hang on the walls "leaves" when the room is finished. You may also see the netting with shells above the doorway. Furniture and tiki bar are in the near future. All of the plants in the mural are actual plants. Not making anything up here. Our backyard provides a lot of the inspiration, as does the beaches here. The last photo is a shot of our banana trees, sea grapes and white bird of paradise. These are examples of the plants in the mural. Since this is something that can only be done in my down time, you can imagine the patience my wife has. :) The mural is painted using acrylics. Hope you all enjoy the change in pace here. I promise a cute girl tomorrow. :)

3 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Wow, seems like a place to both find peace and get inspired! Your wife is lucky!

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

Finally! A shot of your landscaping! More please!

I like the murals. Love the electric outlet in the middle of the sand dunes...wish they were there for real sometimes. LOL

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary!

Thanks Royce. I will post some more pictures of the backyard when I have something that goes with it, like the mural. I did think about having pin-ups overlaid on the photos of the garden but... seems cheesy. ;) Hey, not only an outlet in that sand dune, there is cable too!