Thursday, October 8, 2009

Deadman & Rama Kushna

I had planned to put up another Legionnaire today, but the race was between Chameleon Boy and Deadman. Deadman was finished up first. This Deadman piece was commissioned by Steve after he won the Phantom Stranger pin-up on eBay. He also owns a Spectre Canson piece I did, so this makes it into a nice DC mystery trio.
Above is the rough Deadman figure I did in my sketchbook. When working on Canson paper, I really have to work out all the details before transferring the art. It's not a good idea to sketch it out on the paper as it doesn't take much erasing to destroy the tooth of the paper. Once Deadman was worked out, I scanned him in and worked on face of Rama Kushna in Photoshop. I put the two together and positioned them the way I thought worked best and printed it out at full size on a piece of 11" x 17" copy paper.

I was happy I could use the my light table to transfer the drawing to the paper. With dark paper I would normally have to use a transfer paper or a projector. Once the pencils were transfered I went through the process of inking it. I used colored pencils and markers to get the look I wanted for both characters. Once it was done, I scanned it and sent it to Steve, who was very happy with it. And now we share it with everyone else.

Thanks again Steve!


This is Post #718

4 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Hee hee! The signature motif is priceless!

I really like what you did with the Rama Kushna "background". The angle of placment and heavy features have a Frank Miller vibe to it.

Well done Gene!

Gary

Shane said...

WOW, that is Sharp! Really nice piece Gene! Deadman never looked so good! Well, maybe when he was alive, but that's a whole nother story!

Royce Thrower said...

Ahhh, Boston Brand! Loved the Neal Adams brief run with this character but this Gonzo version is talking to me as well!!

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary, I thought you would like that. The background image is inspired by the way Neal Adams did the face of Rama in the Deadman stories. Thanks!

Thanks Shane!

Thanks Royce, Adams work was the high mark. Though I think José Luis Garcia-Lopez gave him a run for his money. :)