Monday, April 12, 2010

Sketchbook Monday - The Composite Superman

The Composite Superman © DC Comics

Based on today's sketchbook offering, I bet it's no surprise that I was rereading one of the old World's Finest stories featuring this big guy. I never really understood the character's reason for his name though: He was struck by lightning that first hit statuettes of the Legion of Super-Heroes in the Superman Museum. Seems that in the process of making the statuettes of themselves for Superman, the Legionnaires powers were embedded in the statuettes as well. Those powers were released and transfered to Superman Museum custodian, Joseph Meach. Then for some reason, he takes on the costume of a combined Superman and Batman? And calls himself the Composite Superman? Ah well, it was still a fun story with some great artwork. :)

This is Post #908

9 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

Loved the old World's Finest stories from that era. It must have been a stretch to think of a new way to get Superman and Batman "together" each month. I have considered getting a few con sketches using this character in the past (when I tired of asking for Kara all the time....lol) Curt Swan would have been proud of this rendition Gene. Very cool! Superman, Batman, the Legion....what could be better?

Gene Gonzales said...

Royce - You're right, it had to be tough teaming them up issue after issue. Then needing to throw in Robin and Jimmy for a while there had to make it even tougher. But I think they managed to create fun stories. Some better than others, but always fun. Thanks for the Curt Swan reference. He will always me my Superman Family artist of choice. I know we both have tremendous affection for his work. Thanks! :)

Gene Gonzales said...

Oh yeah, Royce, like you would EVER get tired of asking for Kara. :)

Brian Jones said...

Very nice! :)

Royce Thrower said...

You are right Gene. That is why I have NO Composite Superman sketches in my collection....so far! Bwah-ha-ha!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

So, not growing up with DC comics, I have to ask, was their a Composite Supergirl/Batgirl or something along that line?

I do like the sketch!

Gary

Patman said...

I used to dig those old composite Superman stories. Thanks for bringing back those memories, Gene!

Craig Zablo said...

Love the angle and perspective on this one.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks guys! And no Gary, I do not think they ever did a Composite Supergirl. Though I could be wrong. Can you imagine a Composite Power Girl/ Supergirl? Symmetrical, she would not be. :)