Saturday, July 5, 2008

SALLY VOLT - SPACE JUNGLE GIRL!

Sally once again makes it to the blog. SALLY VOLT - SPACE JUNGLE GIRL is the creation of myself and writer J.C. Vaughn. She has been around for about 5 years but not much has been done with her. We see her as a sunday adventure strip that takes a wide variety of genres, tosses them into the blender and makes a nice frozen concoction for a summer day. J.C. has written about 15 episodes and sometime this month I will get started on the first one. I'm still playing around with the format of the originals but right now I am gearing up to do the strips on 16" x 20" boards. Inked, hand lettered and colored right on the originals. They will have the look of the old original sunday strips, minus the glue stains. Yeah, only big ideas here, folks. This piece is done in pencil on 11" x 17" Strathmore 500 series 2-ply Bristol Board.

2 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Hi Gene,

Looks very attractive! Is this the web comic that you were referring to in a previous post? Any reason for the 16" x 20" size?

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Hey Gary, Thanks. This is the same web comic I posted about before. I like working at a larger size. It gives me a chance to do some nice detail in the backgrounds without squinting. Also, I am finding it harder and harder to find brushes that can give me the fine line I like. So working larger helps with that. Good question, thanks.