Thursday, July 31, 2008

Business Solutions Maps

Today was a day of writing quotes for two jobs, confirming a new job, conference calls and writing emails. By the time 5:30 came around, I realized I had nothing done. Not too productive but sometimes the business end of freelancing demands some attention. I just got the approval a few days back to show the art I am posting today. I held off posting it as not to interrupt the pin-ups, but with no pin-ups today...

I was contracted by Solutions House of Tarpon Springs, Florida to create this map. Solutions House had become aware of my work at The Collaborative Labs and brought me in on this project. This artwork was created in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop CS3. It was created at the actual print size of 36" x 60" at 300 dpi. In CMYK. This was a big file. Most elements were created separately in one file and then pasted into the master. It made it a bit more manageable. Still I have over 60 layers in Illustrator when everything was done. The final maps were printed on a very thick vinyl.

The map represents the fictional county of Serene, Florida. When used with the supporting materials, (a guide book, chips, dice, instruction cards, etc.) and a facilitator, a group of 4-6 people play out civic planning scenarios. This was used for a series of "town hall" meetings in Sarasota County. The community was invited to go through the process of planning the future of a fictional county. At each of the events we would have 4-6 people at one of the 10-20 tables playing out the game. Other related activities followed. It really gave people the idea of what it's like to try to meet the needs and desires of the community. Not so easy. And it gave them a chance to prioritize what is really important to them in their community. It was a very successful endeavor.

Solutions House has been a pleasure to work with. And I'm working with them again. This time for a private corporation in Pittsburgh. I don't know if I will ever be able to show the work. I can tell you it is same physical size as this piece but much, much, much more complex. :)

3 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

Mighty impressive project!
Thanks for finally sharing this with us.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

I can only imagine that these types of creations are much more complex and time consuming than a comic page or pin up. However, there is a "market" out there for this type of service, so I hope you are being handsomely compensated for these efforts!

Have a great weekend, I am heading to the beach!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Royce.

Gary - Yes, these are time consuming but they do pay well. :) Thanks for posting and enjoy yourself!