Saturday, July 26, 2008

Power Girl

Today's post is Power Girl. Eric requested something similar to a Power Girl piece I posted a week or so ago so here she is.

I've always liked the original concept of her being the cousin of the Earth-2 Superman. They both left Krypton at the same time as babies, but her ship took longer to make the journey. She was in a sort of suspended animation and aged slowly. So by the time she got to Earth, she was in her early 20s and Superman was in his 60s or 70s and retired. She was always feistier than her Earth-1 counterpart, Supergirl. Something that carries on today. The funny thing is her breast size. There's a story behind it that everyone knows by now. Every reader noticed Power Girl was much bustier than any other character out there but it wasn't until the last few years that there were references and jokes made about it in the comics themselves. Notably in a story drawn by Amanda Conner a while back. Funny stuff.

This piece is inked on 11" x 17" Canson Bristol Board. Thanks again Eric!

3 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

The lines on the cape appear blue, did you use a different color ink or some artistic trick to achieve this (maybe it is my computer monitor)! Again, I like how you play with the placement of your signature. The pose is great. Appears PG is floating and she means business.

Regards,

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Though I work with a blue Col-Erase pencil, the scan was done in grayscale. No blue in there, sorry, must be your monitor. Glad you like her though! Thanks for commenting!

Royce Thrower said...

Hey Gary... when you are envious (as I am) over someone's sketch, you are supposed to see GREEN, not blue. lol

Excellent piece Gene. I have always liked this character and almost requested her myself. I think I have heard of the backstory you are speaking of (but feel free to refresh us)and also remember fondly the Amanda Conner story you referenced in your post...or at least I think I do. Did it involve Jimmy Olsen and PG on the Daily Planet rooftop?

I always loved the Earth-2 mythos and am still a little miffed at the Crisis on Infinite Earths' destruction of it back in the mid 80's.

Looking forward to the "FIANL 8" Sketches! These have been FUN!