Monday, March 17, 2008

With one magic word...

Sometimes I have more art than I can post. I finally scanned this Mary Marvel piece from MegaCon. I did this as a warm up at the show. I didn't have a sketch list yet so I pulled out a piece of paper and sketched this out. I will probably ink it and take it to another show.

Mary is a favorite of mine. Well, Mary from a couple of decades ago. Bob Oskner was drawing some of her backups in SHAZAM when I was younger. His artwork was both cute and sexy in a way that wasn't seen in comics back then. According to things I have read about him, it seems he didn't really like super-hero work. Preferring to draw humor comics. Mary Marvel wasn't just straight super-hero, there was a lot of humor so maybe he enjoyed it a bit. I have an almost complete run of Mary's original series from the forties.  I have her first appearance in CAPTAIN MARVEL #18 and a few issues of WOW COMICS featuring Mary. Fun reads. I did have MARY MARVEL #1 with a double cover at one time but I sold that to Diamond Comics' Steve Geppi a few years back. But not without scanning the comic for reading. :)

My sketch was done in pencil on 11" x 17" bristol board.

5 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

I like this one Gene. Mary has also been one of my faves over the years as well, even though she doesn't wear fishnets! LOL

In fact, I have many fond memories of reading the entire Marvel Family.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Hey, after inking the Mary Marvel piece, you can bring her to Pittsburgh!

Also,would love to see multiple postings daily of your artwork if you have that many pieces floating around!

Have a great day!

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

If you can't get it done by Pittsburgh..feel free to bring it to Charlotte! LOL

Just kidding Gary.

Royce Thrower said...

That brings up a question. I saw where the Pittsburgh organizer was convicted in his murder case. Shocking!

Gene Gonzales said...

Royce - Thanks. Glad you like her. But would you like her more with fishnets. :) Regarding the verdict in the trial, I'm stunned.

Gary - I will bring her to Pittsburgh, provided there is still a show. You want multiple postings daily??? Whew! Just doing it once a day is tough enough. :) Thank you for your enthusiasm though!