Sunday, July 24, 2011

Shrinking Violet - Commission Roughs

Another commission I am working on features Shrinking Violet of the Legion of Super-Heroes. As always, I tried to present a variety of poses and/or situations to choose from. Once I showed them, I was told all of them are great and it was being left up to me to choose which one to paint. How cool is that?



I went back and forth on it. Sought the opinion of friends and a higher source (my lovely wife of course) and ultimately it came down to my favorite of the three, "C". I've done other variation of Shrinking Violet in Colossal Boy's hand before but this one fits so well. The costume she is wearing is from the time that they were actually a couple. Around issue number 305 of the Legion of Super-Heroes. Oh, and can anyone guess the inspiration for "B". That is if you can figure out what the heck I drew there. :)



Shrinking Violet © DC Comics

I reworked the hand a bit and then transferred this image to the final art board. I will try to take photos and or scans of the process and share them with the final piece.

This is Post #1394


6 comments:

doughnut42 said...

I liked that purple costume with the jacket! But I think it only lasted for a few issues, and it turned out that Vi herself was not wearing it, but instead Yera, correct?

Gene Gonzales said...

I can't say. I don't have any comics anymore and they haven't collected those stories yet. But you could be right.

LUD! said...

I'm guessing you went a little "Fantastic Voyage" with version B... although in the sixties, Violet actually had to deal with an attack by white blood cells when she used her powers to erase both Superboy's AND Supergirl's memories of the Legion back in Adventure #350 (which brought back Star Boy and Dream Girl to full-time status)...

Can't wait for the finished piece!

Lud

Gary M. Peiffer said...

All poses are great. Will you be checking out the Legion series relaunch this Fall?

Gene Gonzales said...

LUD! You are correct, sir! Adventure Comics 350 was the inspiration for that rough. Thanks for playing. :)

Thanks Gary. I will check out the new Legion when collected into trades. Or if they run a deal on Comixology. :)

Dene said...

doughnut42 is correct about that version of Vi not being Vi - but Yera. She was being tricked by some criminals into impersonating Vi.

LOVE this, Gene-! Vi's so cute-!