Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mister Freeze

Mister Freeze © DC Comics

Today I got a FedEx package of goodies from Canson Paper. I received a pad of Comic Book Art Boards, a Comic and Manga Drawing Pad, six bottles of Talens drawing ink in various colors and three large bottles of Talens liquid watercolor.

I did the above artwork using the blue Talens drawing ink on a piece of 9" x 12" 150lb Canson Comic and Manga paper. I haven't worked in colored ink before but I just treated is as if it were black. After doing my initial sketch using a Blue Col-Erase pencil, I applied the ink with a Rosemary & Company Kolinsky Sable #3 brush. I like the paper but I think Col-Erase pencils are not the best choice to use on it. There was a bit of smearing when erasing. I had to put a bit more effort into erasing to get it all, but if I had drawn a bit more heavy handed, it might have been a mess. The ink laid down pretty nice though. I will be doing more with the paper in the weeks ahead.

One big positive about the Canson line of paper for comic book work is that they have changed a part of their brand that I never liked. While they still have the FANBOY brand on their boards, they have dropped the nerdy fanboy face in the name and the tagline "Get out of the basement." Though I'm sure it wasn't intentional, both came off as disrespectful to me but now it seems like they are branding the paper for professional use. That's good because I like the product and I'm sure others will too. As a matter of fact I am currently penciling and inking two projects on the paper that I purchased myself.

This is Post #1042

7 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Great color and pose Gene.

Yes, you are correct, the get out the base comment is demeaning. Especially to professionals such as yourself!

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

I have never seen the logo in question but I agree with your description. Glad you are liking the new tools. It must feel like Christmas morning to get new art supplies in a package like that. The blue ink looks pretty sharp! Perfect choice of subject...blue suggests "cold" much more so than the black would have. Look forward to seeing more of your use of the new colors.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. I know the branding turned me off before. But not anymore. :)

Thanks Royce! It is like Christmas. They had contacted me a couple of weeks ago and wanted to send me more items for my feedback and review and I had forgotten. Then it showed up. You nailed it with the comment about the color choice: my first thought was to do an "ice" based character. :)

Mike Moran said...

Oh that is nice!!

Kyle said...

Nice work, Gene. This is Kyle at Canson, I'm the product manager for Royal Talens, who supplied the drawing ink. Love your work and glad you were happy with the results.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks MilkManX!

Thanks Kyle! I am enjoying the products sent. I will continue to try the ink with different boards and papers but so far I am impressed.

Brian Jones said...

Very cool! ;)