Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Aquaman - Rough


This is the beginning of a commission piece for Vincent. He requested the Silver Age Aquaman in battle with the fire-haired Karla. I believe Karla first appeared in Aquaman #24, but you can see the reprinted story in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: AQUAMAN v3. Karla's has hair that burns even in water and can send blasts of fire with it or even control the shape.

For the commission, I came up with a circular design. Karla attacking Aquaman, as he swims to avoid the flames he is calling for assistance, represented by the tentacles at the bottom right. We can assume they belong to Topo, the octopus. I showed this concept to Vincent, he liked it and we are going with it. This sketch was done in pencil in my sketchbook. The final art will be done in ink on 11" x 17" Bristol Board.

This is Post #838

5 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

This looks like it could be a cover, seriously!

Any reason for the tentacles to be numbered?

Thanks,

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Gary - So I don't draw more than eight. :) Thanks!

Royce Thrower said...

The numbering is a great idea. I once commissioned a picture of Wonder Woman walking my scottie and her lasso/leash wrapped around her leg in an very impossible way. It is very distracting as the artist just "made it up" without thinking it through. (The pic wasn't by Gene by the way. :)) I am guessing that the numbering is to keep the tentacles "straight" as they wrap around each other and Karla.

ALWAYS a pleasure to see Arthur show up in a commission!

Brian Jones said...

Cant wait to see the end result...looks awesome!

Gene Gonzales said...

Royce - I've had my moments. Forgetting Josie's "ears for hats" and Cheetah's ears too for example. I'm not immune so I try to do what I can to avoid the mistake by planning as much as possible. Thanks!

Thanks Brian!