Saturday, February 13, 2010

Aquaman - Finished Commission

A few days ago I posted the rough for this commission. Today I present the final art. This piece was done for Vincent. He had requested Aquaman in battle with the fire haired Karla. Since Karla is a favorite character of his, I wanted to showcase her. The composition is a rough circle with Karla framed in the center. In the original rough, Topo the octopus' tentacles were coming in from the bottom right. That wasn't working because it would draw the viewers eye down and off the page, looking for the rest of the octopus. So I made a change to the composition to bring Topo onto the full page. This helps complete the "frame" effect I was working towards.

Thanks to Vincent for this (and many other) commissions! The final art was done with ink on a sheet of 11" x 17" Strathmore Bristol Board.

This is Post #849
775 consecutive days

6 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

"We visitors to the blog" want to also thank Vincent for all the commissions! This one isnother winner! I like the changes you made Gene. The final piece is terrific.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Royce!

Little John said...

Wow Gene. This is one of my favorites. Love the composition on this one.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Hey, Topo if missing the numbers on the tentacles!

Seriously, this would make a great cover. Great job!

Gary

Brian Jones said...

I'm with Gary on this, Cover worthy or a great "splash" page ;)
Well done Gene and congrats on another great one Vincent!

Vincent Paul Bartilucci said...

Gene, I've worked with a lot of great artists but no one is better than you at turning my silly ideas into beautiful works of art. Thanks for taking yet another one of my commissions!

Oh, and I'll be back for more!