Monday, January 9, 2012

Work in Progress - Pencils Complete


Characters © DC Comics

If you have been following me on Twitter or come here regularly, you have seen bits and pieces of this commission for Royce as I have worked on it. And now Royce has graciously allowed me to share the completed pencils as a whole.

This piece is measuring in at 14" x 17" and it is on Strathmore 400 series Bristol Board. The idea was Royce's. One that he has toyed around with for quite and while and when he mentioned it to me, I had to make this happen. There are some areas that are still pretty rough to the casual viewer but it's enough information for me to begin inking. (This was scanned in three sections so there is some variation in lights and darks) There are a lot of silver age references, a couple of bronze age ones too. I know I didn't hit every Superman Family landmark or supporting character, but I think Royce and I captured some of the best loved. Thanks again Royce. Onward to the inks!

This is Post #1570

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply spectacular, Gene. Royce is lucky to get this one!

Brian Jones said...

GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST! Wonderful job Gene and a big Congrats Royce!

p.s. like the shadows to the right :)

Royce Thrower said...

Wow is all that keeps coming out of my mouth when I try to form a comment Gene. You have vastly exceeded my expectations on this piece. I am so glad we decided to just go ahead and do it! I still think that putting the Daily Planet on the tree as a star was a stroke of genius! I wanted a Planet reference in there somewhere... and this is PERFECT!!

Little John said...

Wow! This is going to be a great piece. Great concept and wonderful execution.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Spectacular! Is that Batman in the shadows in the background?

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Michael!

Thanks Brian, I figured you would like that part of the piece. :)

Royce, glad to hear I exceeded your expectations. You and I both have a great love for these characters. With that, I couldn't help but go nuts on it. Thanks!

Thanks Little John!

Thanks Gary, and yup, that is Batman showing up a little late with a Christmas present. Though he isn't lurking...the silver age Batman wouldn't lurk in the shadows, he would just show up for the party and sing carols with the rest of them. :)

carlos a.s. lising said...

This is my favorite thing you've ever done, Gene. Period. Absolutely stunning on every level!!! :D

Gene Gonzales said...

Thank you Carlos! :)