Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sketchbook Tuesday - Deadlines & Commitments


Artwork © Gene Gonzales

A deadline was met today, a couple of others yesterday. And so at this moment, I have no work. (Cue the ominous organ music) This is how it goes sometimes when freelancing. Feast or famine. With any luck, the famine parts are short. :)

Still, I only had time to doodle a Rose and Thorn idea, just to get it out of my head. And I had enlisted Dakota to pose as Kara for the BIG commission. I was never happy with the original pose but kept it as a placeholder. This is more of a graceful pose than the first one. Oh and one of the nice things about no work is I have time to work on the BIG commission.

This is Post #1564


4 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

Always liked the Rose/Thorn character and backups in the old Lois Lane comics. Look forward to seeing you flesh this one out.

And your teases of the BIG commission are killing me! haha

Glad you have a built in model at your disposal for such "emergencies."

Gene Gonzales said...

Royce - I have been reading a few of the R&T backups in Lois Lane. Pretty sexy stuff when I was a kid. And, ah, the BIG commission...I'm sorry for both of us that I couldn't work on it exclusively. Dakota has been posing for my work since she was 4. Both her and Deena are very helpful when I need it.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Will there be a Batman family version of the duper commission?

Question on Rose and Thorn. Are they part of the Superman canon or separate?

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Gary - I guess there could be a Batman Family version if someone were to commission it ;) I don't know if she is officially part of the Superman Family. But Rose and Thorn was based in Metropolis and I think introduced the mob known as The 100. They would show up in Superman Family books and Black Lightning.