Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sketch Card samples


Today I thought I would share some sample art. I did these to submit to a card publisher who is putting together artists for a new set of Marvel sketch cards. I know that if I get the gig I would not be able to show any until the sets are released, but since these will never be used, I'm guessing it's safe to show. I had inked a total of 6 but I felt these four were the strongest. And the publisher asked for 3 or 4 images so this covers it.

All four images are done in ink and fluid acrylics. And each image is 2.5" x 3.5" on Strathmore Bristol Board.

5 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

These look great, certainly Marvel will commission you to do a few (hey, how about a set)?

Maybe you can do these as commissions also?

Gary

Craig Zablo said...

They are look great. I think I like the Hulk best of the bunch.

Royce Thrower said...

Yeah, the Hulk's coloring is perfect! there will be no "If" you get the gig. There is no question in my mind about that!

I don't collect cards, but I am amazed at how much detail and arty goodness can be fit onto these small boards!

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. I think Marvel just reviews the final art that comes in and will reject anything they don't like. I don't know how involved they are in the selection process. This is all new to me so I don't know. I might consider doing these for commissions. Though doing color head shots on 11 x 14 sounds fun too. :)

Thanks Craig! Hulk is my favorite too.

Thanks Royce. I haven't collected cards in years so I have been amazed by all the really cool sketch cards I see out there. I wanted in! :)

Brian Jones said...

Great job Gene, Cap & Hulk are my favs!
Too bad you didnt get to do Mickey and Minnie given todays news!
So does this make Scrooge McDuck the richest person in the Marvel U? :)