Saturday, August 29, 2009

Jocasta!

I started reading the Avengers around the time Jocasta was introduced. She was brought to the page by writer Jim Shooter and artist George Perez in 1977. Funny, but I believe that 14 year old that bought that issue of Avengers off the spinner rack would have been surprised to know that in his future he would work with Jim and have wonderful conversations with George at conventions, the latest conversation being at the Mini-MegaCon last weekend. Forget about telling that 14 year old that he would go to dinner with George and a few other comic creators after a convention in Baltimore! His head would have exploded. :)

This Jocasta piece was commissioned by Alex and is the second of four pieces coming up. This was done with ink on 11" x 17" Strathmore Bristol Board. Thanks again Alex!


5 comments:

Lan Pitts said...

It is sort of surreal, huh? I know the feeling to an extent. Working in my field I'd NEVER thought I'd be friends with Ron Marz, have Mark Waid's phone number, and get PAID to do the things I do.

It makes me feel really lucky.

And as for that sketch, I love the layout and use of clock gears and the hint of Ultron. Very VERY cool.

Brian Jones said...

Really digg this...I agree with everything Lan said and will add that it has sort of a cool Metropolis (the film) vibe to it.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Lan.

I was going for the Metropolis vibe. Thanks Brian.

Craig Zablo said...

I'd forgotten about her. Nice way to reboot my memory, sir!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Great figure and fantastic background! The time you took to add the mechanical/cybernetic backdrop makes a better overall piece. Also, it is good to be able to network with fellow professionals. Be part of the circle I suppose.

Lan- You have Mark Waid's phone number. Next time you speak with him, let him know that Golgoth (and Gary) are waiting for him to write the sequel to Empire! Kitson is willing to draw it. If he is not available, I bet Gene would do a fantastic job (I can see a Gene Golgoth now!)..


Regards,

Gary