Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tiki Room progress 3

A quick update on the Tiki Room in our house. Also known as the mural that will never be finished. Well, that's gonna change this weekend. Today one more section was finished and the plan for tomorrow is to finish the last section. The picture here shows one corner I started and finished today. This is my version of a Banyan tree. We see them all over down here and they are really cool. The type of tree I wish I had in my backyard when I was growing up. Vines from the branches make their way back to the ground and root. Over time they become trunks themselves. They must be great to climb on.

While I said the room would be finished tomorrow, that really means the big sweeping version of it. There will be details like parrots, crabs, other birds, lizards and so on that I will be adding as the muse strikes. Then there are the artificial plants that will attached to the walls to add some real dimension to the scene. So that's it for today. I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

3 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Great anniversary present getting the Tiki Room near completion! Well done!

Curious, what type of paint do you use for a mural? Is it the type you would use if you were painting a commission, or do you go to Home Depot and pick out wall paints? If the former, do you have to do anything special after application to make sure the paint lasts?

Thanks for sharing!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. I'm just using acrylic paint. Not the good stuff I use when I do a commissioned painting though. I buy the some of the cheaper stuff. Since acrylic is like plastic it's pretty durable. And since it's indoors it should be fine. Though I am certainly not an expert on murals. I guess we will see what happens the first time I have to spray 409 on the wall to clean something up. ; )

Royce Thrower said...

The true test of durability is when someone tries to put out a lit cigarette on the wall...true story.

Is there possibly a youtube video sweep of the room in the near future? Hire a few Island Girls and have a christening!

Looking great so far!