Monday, January 28, 2008

Aquaman

This one started off as a pencil sketch in my book but once I scanned it, I started playing with the color in Photoshop. About 30 minutes of drawing and 20 of color. Aquaman was the second job I got at DC. I only had to do the first nine pages of the book and when I was given the script, I was told to get the job done by the next week. For the next 8-9 days I worked on those nine pages and got them in on time. When I asked about more jobs I found the editor wasn't too impressed with my work. He thought it looked rushed and I could have had more time if I needed it. Yeeesh! I met the series artist a couple of months after that and found out he hadn't even started the issue at the time I turned my pages in.

Looking back on my copies of the pencils, they are not tooooo bad. Newbie mistakes, as can be expected. The regular penciller and I had two different looks. His was more angular and mine was rounded, more organic. We shared the same inker and the inker leaned much closer to the angular style. He is a solid inker (and artist) but it didn't help my stuff at all. Strangely enough though, when I was pencilling MAZE AGENCY for Caliber Press, Ande Parks inked me on one issue. Ande's inks are bold, angular and sharp. Just look at the work he does with Phil Hester and you will see what I mean. I thought his inks on my pencils were great. Hmmmm.

8 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Ok, we go from Dejah, to Sue and Reed, to Aqua Man on the quick sketch tour! You have me guessing as to what is next! Archie characters???

Neat story about your Aqua Man nine page assignment.

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

Would love to see that Aquaman book, Gene. Any idea what issue it was?

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. Hmmmmm, Jughead. Could be. :)

Gene Gonzales said...

Royce, I believe it was the 3rd issue during the Peter David run. Superboy is on the cover with Aquaman. It was the first issue that Aquaman has the hook/harpoon.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

If it is an Archie character, it needs to be a female. Your posted sketch trend has been female (Dejah), male/female (Reed and Sue), male (Aquaman). So a Josie, Betty, Veronica, etc would be the next logical character! :-)

Of course, a creative guy like you can always buck the trend!

Gary

Royce Thrower said...

Just pulled the issue and took a look at it Gene. To my untrained eye, there was absolutley nothing wrong with your pages. In fact I liked them. Can't say much about the writing in that issue though even though I usually like Peter's work.

Gene Gonzales said...

Gary, consider the trend bucked. :)

Gene Gonzales said...

I wish you had been my editor, Royce. Thanks!