Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Long tails and ears for hats.

Another warm up sketch. 15 minutes this time. Inked with a Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen/brush. I have always liked Josie and the Pussycats. Some of the first comics I read were the Archie books. Then came the Pussycats cartoon. Does anyone else remember when the band was in outer space? Who came up with that?

I'm probably in the minority of those that liked the live action movie of Josie and the Pussycats. I thought the casting was terrific for the girls and the villians. And the boy band, Dujour was hilarious. The whole plot of the movie of having subliminal messages in music creating the trends and fads was genius especially since the entire movie was one big product placement. The songs were great. I still listen to the soundtrack. My daughter was at the right age for the movie to be the big thing for her. It was because of her I watched it and listened to the music in the car back then. Now I do both because it's good stuff. One of the funniest lines in the movie is when the girls are on the private jet and someone asks Alexandra, who hate the girls but who's brother is their manager, why she is there. Her reply: "I was in the comic".

2 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Wow, wow, and wow! I love this Josie piece! Any chance of purchasing this, or a convention piece version since you have a lay out done? It would go great with the Josie piece that you did for me and brought to the Pittsburgh Comiccon last year. I see you plan to be at Pittsburgh again this year, so I can meet up with you there.

I also liked the patch up job on Josie's tail!

Concerning the Josie cartoon, I do vaguely remember the Space episodes. However, I loved the original cartoon series best. You may want to check out the DVD that was released last year with all of the original cartoon series. I picked it up and it is pretty addictive. My kids enjoyed it and loved the 70's look and music. My daughter was surprised that the "dumb blonde" sterotype was around "way back then" whenever Melody was in a scene.

Anyway, fantastic work, and let me know if we can work something out for Pittsburgh!

Regards,

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Gary, thanks for the kind words and info about the show. I will check it out. Email me about Pittsburgh. :)