Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cleopatra In Spaaaace! - Fan Art

Artwork © 2011 Gene Gonzales — Cleopatra In Spaaaace © 2011 Mike Maihack

Okay, today's post is going to be all about another artist who's work I really like. If you are not already a fan of Mike Maihack's art work, you soon will be. I only discovered Mike's work in the last couple of years. We've been guests at the same conventions but I still haven't met him. I did meet his lovely wife at MegaCon last year when she stopped to talk to my table mate Joe Pekar, but I've yet to meet the artist himself. But I am a big fan. Hey, I ordered his comic and some prints from his website. I don't do that with just any artist. :)

Cleopatra In Spaaaace!, (yes, there are four "a"'s in the title) is one of Mike's web comics. He has a few others that are a lot of fun but Cleo is the one that reeled me in first. It's a fun adventure/scifi strip that you need to check out. And when you check out his site, look at his gallery. His color work is outstanding. Something that makes me hate him slightly. Well, him and Joe Pekar really. Both have such great color sense that I just stare at their work wide eyed and drooling. Not a pretty sight.

I have been wanting to do a "fan" piece featuring Mike's characters, Cleopatra and Khensu, the cat for a while and finally got around to it. I even got Mike's approval on it. :)

Make sure you check out Mike's site at http://www.cowshell.com. There you find all kinds of goodies to feast your eyes on. Tell him I sent you. :)

This piece was done in ink on a sheet of 11" x 17" bristol board.

This is Post #1211

5 comments:

Unknown said...

this is pretty awesome!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

I met Mike at the last Baltimore Con and picked up his Cleopatra in Spaaaace! self published comic. Really, excellent stuff and hope to see more from Mike on this.

Speaking of selfpublished mini comics, this might be a good format for the Island Trio sometime down the road. Maybe even a crossover with Cleopatra could be worked on :-)

Cheers!

Gary

Little John said...

Beautiful take on the character Gene. This is one of my favorite webcomics.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Lisa!

Thanks Gary! That would be a mind-boggling cross-over. I can just see the tag line: Worlds will live. World will die. ;)

Thanks Little John!

Darren Taylor said...

Really lovely work as always Gene.