Wednesday, May 9, 2012

EMERALD EMPRESS - The Fatal Five


Emerald Empress © DC Comics

This is the fourth of five of Fatal Five portraits for Travis. The Emerald Empress is probably the most sadistic of the Five in my opinion. She not only will kill to get what she wants, but she feels the need to subjugate those that oppose her. And she does take great joy in both. Thanks again Travis! And thanks for your patience!

There was a gap of a few weeks between the Fatal Five portraits because sometimes getting the paper color I need is difficult. In local stores, customers put their hands all over the paper and/or bend them, leaving creases or folds. I have gone through 20 sheets of one color and still not find one that isn't damaged. If I order on line, the same thing can happen in the handling and shipping of the paper. The paper is of a lesser weight than say bristol board and is more susceptible to creases so there isn't much I can do except reorder or wait for a store to have some new undamaged stock. A lot of times I buy a full sheet but can only get one 11" x 17" out of it or even one 9" x 12". That is only around 25% to 50% of the sheet. I use the rest for testing colors. Canson does have some colors mounted on illustration boards and those are more durable and great to use. I use those when I am going to paint on the paper, but the color selection is limited.

Mixed media on 9" x 12" Canson Mi-Teintes paper

This is Post #1695

No comments: