Friday, September 9, 2011

The Mad Hatter - Conventionless Convention Sketch


Artwork © 2011 Gene Gonzales


This is another for Brian. And another in my takes on the Bat-Villains as requested. While I didn't go to far off with Mister Freeze yesterday, I did with the Mad Hatter. I had really given this one some thought and felt the gender change was necessary and the motive. And I really can't remember the Hatter's motive in the Batman mythos. Ah well, here are my thoughts about her. Her "origin" if you will:

She was just an ex-model, ex-high fashion designer, recovering from years of the fast lane, who finally snapped when she saw Princess Beatrice's hat at the royal wedding. That hat called to her to make a change in her perception of high fashion. Now Maddie Hattigan strikes terror in the jet set as she dishes out her own brand of fashion justice. She's an artist, determined to either correct the fashion faux pas, or put the wearer out of his or her misery.

Thanks again Brian, I hope you like her! She is not your grand daddy's Hatter, that's for sure.

This was done in ink and white gel pen on 11" x 17" Strathmore Bristol Board.

Have a good weekend everyone.

This is Post #1442

5 comments:

Little John said...

Love this one! Great design here. It's giving me ideas of sketches...

Royce Thrower said...

LOL Maddie Hattigan. Classic!

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks LJ!

Hey Royce, she's a redhead! ;)

Brian Jones said...

Redhead or not there's a lot here to love! Great job Gene I wish you could have seen my face when I saw her. Like Little John you are giving me more sketch ideas :)

BTW..great character description too!

Unknown said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!