A few weeks ago I posted a Phantom Lady rough for a commission I am doing for Kevin. It was tightened up, transfered to the final board and then I thought I could do something better for the body language. So I did another sketch and sent it to Kevin. His thought was maybe we didn't need the whole body in the shot. Maybe waist up was what he was thinking. I thought it was a good idea but suggested from the thighs up. He agreed and I cropped the sketch to see how it would look.The background elements would have to be moved around and the word balloon placement adjusted but I think this works much better. This also enables be to focus on the main parts of the illustration that make the joke: Her expression and her breasts.
On the left is the beginnings of the painting process. I have outlined everything in acrylic paint. I am using fluid acrylics for this piece. I treat them just like I would watercolors, thinning them down and building up from light to dark. On the right is the progress of Phantom Lady today. She is almost to a finished point. Then I will paint the background. At that point I will probably do some minor touches to Phantom Lady and she will be done.
Check back tomorrow for the final art.