Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Legion of Super-Heroes

The Legion of Super-Heroes are my favorite characters. I discovered them in the back-up stories in Superboy. I had no idea who they were at first but they blew me away. I spent a lot of time and money getting every appearance of the group through the various titles they were published in. Curt Swan was my favorite Legion artist. Well, favorite artist, really. But the magic time period for me was the Dave Cockrum and then Mike Grell issues. James Sherman's run is almost up there with them too. I don't read any of the new Legion books though. I just like to revisit with the Legion I met when I was 8.

Light Lass and Timber Wolf drawn in pencil from my sketchbook.

2 comments:

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Once again, thanks for sharing your talent with us!

I think everyone who has been around comics long enough has encountered the Legion and has fond memories. This is a title that I wish you could have the opportunity to draw on a monthly bases. Your style reminds me a bit of Jeff Moys back when the Legion was heroic, but fun, and looked like younger heroes.

Thanks again for posting.

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Gary. Drawing the Legion on a monthly basis would have just geeked me out. :)