Friday, June 26, 2009

HeroesCon - Post Game 4: Wrap Up

This is the second post for June 26. Make sure you scroll down for an earlier post of artwork from HeroesCon 2009.

Here are the last five sketches from HeroesCon. Yup, five. I had thought I only had four until another came attached in an email. Again, thanks to everyone who commissioned a sketch before and during the show.

First up is Tigra. This was a quick sketch I did in color pencils for the Ladd kids. The Ladds are one of the nicest families you could ever meet. And their kids are incredible! I thank them for making me part of their HeroesCon Family.


Desire of the Endless for Herman. He had this idea in his head and asked if I could do it. After doing the rough in a blue Col-Erase pencil, I really didn't want to ink it. I think it would have lost something. So I just finished it in color pencil in his sketchbook. This original is really small. About 5"x5".
Lori Lemaris for Royce. I did this one twice. I penciled a nice figure but it was missing something. It wasn't until later that I realized what was needed. I redrew Lori and using my iPhone, I found some reference of Wayne Boring's version of Superman/Clark Kent. Adding a "kiss" on the framed photo of Clark was the final touch. (Btw, Lori's lipstick and the kiss on the photo is red on the original)
A Phantom Lady for Little John!
And a Scarlet Witch for Alan!
There were more sketches but I didn't get shots or scans of them. There was a Dawnstar for John, a All-Star Superwoman for a different John, a Devil Girl for Herman and a ton of head sketches. If you go to the Comic Art Fans website and do a search of my name, you will find some pieces already have been posted.

That wraps it up. I hope everyone enjoyed the sketch review. My next show will be in Orlando at the Mini-MegaCon in August. It is only a two-day show and I will be setting up an advance sketch list once again. I will announce it a couple of weeks before the show.

6 comments:

Lan Pitts said...

That Phantom Lady is CUTE! Also, that's a really nice touch on Lori. Very imaginative. See you in August!

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Lan! See you there!

Little John said...

These sketches are excellent. Of course I am partial to the Phantom Lady illustration. Love the Zatanna and Lori Lemaris as well.

Royce Thrower said...

Love the Lori sketch Gene! The Metropolis Marvels roll along! The picture of Clark MAKES the sketch! That small addition sums up the character so well!

Thanks again! Congrats on all who got sketches, before and during the show!

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Little John!

I'm glad you appreciate the addition of Clark Kent, Royce. After all, it was Kent she fell in love with, not Superman.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Keep doing more conventions, I love when you share all of the pieces! Thanks for taking the time to scan and post!

Gary