Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lightning Lad - Legion of Super-Heroes

We have another Legionnaire for Roland today. Garth Ranzz, Lightning Lad. Lightning Lad had one of the coolest costume anywhere. Designed by Dave Cockrum during his run on the Legion in the 1970s. Thanks again Roland! This is ink on 11" x 17" Canson Bristol Paper.

And below we have something special that I thought I would share. This is just one of several painted commissions I did for my friend Tom Fleming, owner of Fanfare-se.com I met Tom through eBay and he probably has a larger collection of my artwork than I do. We became friends and our families would spend Thanksgiving weekend together at Mid-Ohio Con. Now they come down here and spend their family vacation with us. Always a lot of fun!

Back in 1999 or 2000, Tom had an idea to commission from me a series of paintings of the Legion couples. This one with Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl was one of the earliest ones, dated 2000. This was inked and them painted in gouache and watercolor on 11" x 17" Strathmore Illustration Board. These were a blast to work on. I will share them all, one at a time if there is any interest. Most have not been seen. They won't take the place of posting new work, they will just a little bonus post. :)

4 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

OK Gene, you have really gone and done it now. We don't want you to merely PENCIL a new Legion series, but to paint it as well! Oh, shoot...just do a painted graphic novel already!

:)

Do share the rest of this series! Good stuff! Nice to compare your 2008 version to the one done in 2000. The detail on Garth is amazing and of course your Damsels are to die for.

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Royce. Next up will be Mon-El and Shadow Lass. : )

Unknown said...

Once again, you've knocked it out of the park on one of my commissions Gene! And on my all-time favorite Legionnaire, to boot :)

I know Tom Fleming! We've exchanged some artwork over the years... I've bought several Jeff Moy pieces from his collection and he bought an Adam Hughes from mine. Of all the art "reps" that I've dealt with in my 22 years of art collecting, I think Tom's gotta be far and away the nicest to do biz with. And yeah, I'd love to see all those paintings!

Thanks for the previews of my birthday presents... I know my wife'll be excited when she sees what she bought me ;)
Roland

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

You will soon have to join "Legionnaire Anonyomous". DC really needs to give you a Legionnaire miniseries to draw. I am shooting them an email now!!!

Gary