Friday, February 22, 2008

Jungle Girl color sketch

I have a project that I would like to do when I have some time. (Hmm, that was a punch line without a joke.) So from time to time I pick up various papers and try painting something on them to test the absorbency and the texture. This is one of those tests. I sketched it out on a 7" x 8" board with a Prismacolor Verithin Terra Cotta color pencil and then went in with water color. The paper just soaked up the water so quickly there wasn't much time to move the color or blend. That won't work at all. On a separate piece I tried out my ink on it and that holds up nicely. The search continues for the right paper though. Over all this took about an hour or a little less.

The project I would like to do is a weekly sunday adventure strip for the web. The trick is I want to pencil, and paint it in traditional mediums. Each strip would be on a 16"x 20" board. And all the lettering would be done on the board. That could be a nice looking original piece of artwork, provided I could pull it off. 

3 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

An hour or a little less...well spent! Like the pose on this one, as well as the subject of course. :)

I think an original "Sunday-Style Web Comic Strip" would be an awesome idea. As you alluded to though... a regular publishing schedule might be hard to maintain with your more profitable workload competing for your 168 weekly hours, but what do I know? Consider though that we also have to leave room in your day to talk to us here on the Blog and see us at the cons. But if it WERE possible... :D

Darn we need magical time-halting powers!

Craig Zablo said...

Amazing that was completed in one hour!

I'd love to have a weekly Sunday strip to look forward too!

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

I love the end result that you have posted here! The purple in the background really complements the Jungle Girl figure. I have Jungle Fever!!!

The Sunday Style Web Comic approach would be an awesome projects. Maybe publish a few bi-weekly as an experiment to see if it works in your schedule? I could also see a project like this collected and printed in either a TPB or a comic similar to Frank Cho reprinting the Liberty Meadow strips in Comic form.

Gene, you are such a creative dynamo!

Gary