Sunday, August 9, 2009

Pin-Up Girl

This is the finish for a pencil sketch I posted a while back. I did this early this morning. It will be part of the next pack I am working on for CILM. This is the first time in a while that I have worked in watercolors. Plus I was working on a different paper than normal. I tend to buy a lot of art supplies in order to try things out. This watercolor paper was Aquarelle Arches Hot Pressed 140# watercolor block. Though I cropped the edges of the piece shown, she is 8" x 12" on 11" x 17" paper. I normally work on cold press paper. The difference is the texture. Cold Press has a bit more texture and Hot Press is perfect smooth. Water and pigment act differently on each surface. So while I am used to cold press and how it reacts, it's still fun to experiment.

6 comments:

Lan Pitts said...

how do you do the color transitions so well. I'm about to post something I watercolored today. Maybe you can give some feedback?

Gene Gonzales said...

Which transitions are you looking at? I will be happy to give you feedback when you post your artwork. Thanks!

Lan Pitts said...

the background.

I'm about to post the picture, but I hate how it came out. D'oh!

Royce Thrower said...

Hot Pressed...Cold Pressed. The debate continues.

(Of course, if you ask me this one is quite obviously HOT!!)

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Hot pressed? Cold pressed? I am simply impressed with this piece! Looks like the start of another great CILM set.

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks guys! :)