Thursday, October 27, 2011

Spider-Man - Conventionless Convention Sketch


Spider-Man © Marvel Entertainment

Charlie asked for a Steve Ditko version of Spider-Man. While I cannot draw like Ditko, there were a few things I noticed when doing the research for this piece. The shape of the eyes, the spider on his chest and the webbing under the arms, were distictive. So using the only Spider-Man reference I forgot I owned and is filled with Steve Ditko Spidey art, the Marvel Special Edition "The Spectacular Spider-Man" treasury sized book from 1975, I got started. Above is the result. Thanks Charlie!

Ink on 11" x 17" Strathmore Bristol Board.

This is Post #1497

4 comments:

Charlie Ramirez said...

i love it, gene! i already can imagine opening up my portfolio and it starting with an exciting spider-man moment. i love how you added doc oc's metal arms to it :) i hope to get spider-main's point of view of this attack down the road. anyway i hope to add to my gene only spider-man collection soon. thanks for considering my sketch idea!

Gene Gonzales said...

Hey Charlie, I'm glad you like the piece. Thanks again for coming to me to do it!

Brian Jones said...

Very nice and I love Charlie's idea of a follow up from Doc's POV.

Little John said...

Very nice Gene. Love this piece.